Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I do not know why I wrote this but I hope it strikes a chord and stirs up some personal memories too.

Yesterday I had gone for a haircut and trust me I was thrilled when my conscious transported me back to my childhood days. There are occasions when you become nostalgic after trying a particular dish which is your mother’s specialty, that smell after it pours thinking about your childhood games, that aroma of coffee evoking thoughts of someone special you had awaited for in your life, that song which tickles you and takes you to wonderland, smell of books reminding of school libraries and so on..There are innumerable instances which trigger a wave of emotions. It is strange how sometimes this stroke of nostalgia makes us smile :)

As I sat on the chair in the parlor and that hairdresser untied my hair, I found myself childishly enthusiastic about this new look. There was hair all over my face and I was trying to peek through so that I could get a glimpse of myself in the mirror placed in front of me. It is unbelievable how on this side of the messy hair, a flood of memories were waiting to be unleashed..I felt like I was a kid again and experienced anxiety and moments flashed in front of my eyes. I was then wondering how my life revolved around those report cards, those remarks of appreciation from teachers, being the class monitor, Mom’s Tiffin, favorite cartoon shows and those evening hours of play in the building. These were things which meant the world to me. A compliment brought unadulterated joy to us as kids. Somehow I experienced intense set of childhood emotions.

Things were so resolved and beautiful when we were kids. Then we saw the world with hope, optimism and not with cynicism. It was effortless to make new friends and stay happy and content. Life was not at all complicated.

That was the time when I felt like running with the air and now I realize that it isn’t easy with the burdens, pressures and responsibilities lying on my shoulders. I feel like being carefree and enjoying the smallest things in life which I am missing on in this adulthood. In this phase of being mature, I don’t want to let go this child inside me who pops up very often on certain occasions. But then more than often, I mask it thinking this is not the time but I strongly feel that not just me but everyone needs that side of the being..

The best time of our life has passed by and now I realize it’s worth.The most cherish able times of everyone’s life..We can’t replicate those things. We can’t go back to that period. But yes, we can always learn from that stage of life. We can always revisit that atmosphere. We can still be simple and take great pleasures in small things of life. We can still trust people. There is no point fighting with the places or the things or the people. The world goes on without us, just as well, maybe better.. The choice is ours.What goes around comes around..Waiting for it..Life, here I come...

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully written, don't ask how I got to the link, that was an accident, but I'm glad I did. Always happy to read something beautiful.

    Cheers,
    Swapnesh

    ReplyDelete